We are a neighborhood resource for business retention and commercial corridor revitalization in Deanwood and Deanwood Heights.
Authorized by DC City Council legislation and awarded a competitive grant in November 2008, Deanwood Heights Main Streets(DHMS) is a designated DC Main Streets program funded by the DC Department of Small and Local Business Development (DSLBD).
Using the Main Street 4 Point Approach®, DHMS supports comprehensive and sustained commercial revitalization within the Deanwood and Deanwood Heights neighborhoods in Ward 7 Washington, DC. Our primary goal is to support retail investment through the retention and expansion of existing businesses and the recruitment of new businesses in our service area.
DHMS directly assists businesses and coordinates sustainable community-driven revitalization efforts in our business district. Our commercial revitalization efforts are organized and led by local volunteers and community development professionals. Our services are offered free of charge to businesses in the Deanwood and Deanwood Heights community.
- maintaining clean and safe commercial corridors by managing a Clean Team made possible through enabling grants from Department of Small and Local Development (DSLBD);
- branding and promoting our commercial district through print ad campaigns; hosting neighborhood festivals and other special events; providing street pole banners; and performing other promotional services;
- receiving funding for business corridor public awareness promotional activities through grants from the Council of Washington (HCWDC) to conduct tours of Historic Deanwood Churches and notable economic development sites;
- promoting occupancy of available commercial space for lease or sale;
- completing store front improvements on four Deanwood neighborhood retail stores in a single fiscal year involving business owners and a range of public and private stakeholders;
- receiving a Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) grant to conduct the Ward 7 Small Business Assistance Program;
- receiving a Neighborhood Investment Fund (NIF) grant to conduct a comprehensive Business Impact and Marketing Assessment;
- leveraging the history and unique character of our commercial district to give Deanwood and its businesses a competitive advantage; and,
- participating in the streetscape improvement project process to advocate for changes that support revitalization priorities and to mitigate challenges that arise for businesses and customers during project implementation.
To learn more, contact us.
Quality business activity is the engine of sustainable job growth and prosperity. People benefit when they have jobs and ready access to quality goods and services. Please consider financially supporting our efforts to revitalize and expand independent business enterprises in Deanwood.
Each member of our leadership group has a long-standing commitment to fostering community growth and development.
» our Board of Directors